Meet the 2021 Young SIOP awardees - Francesca del Bufalo

Hi there! For the coming weeks, our blog will be dedicated to our Young SIOP Award winners!

Please meet Francesca del Bufalo, YI from Italy, in her own words.



I graduated from the Medical School in 2009 and grew my interest in the translational research by working on the characterization of mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) derived from the bone-marrow of pediatric patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), at Prof. Locatelli research laboratories, during her medical studies. 

Subsequently, I spent 2 years as post-doctoral fellow at the Center for Cell and Gene Therapy (CAGT) of the Baylor College of Medicine, in Houston (TX, USA), with the mentorship of Dr. Brenner, where I focused my studies on immunotherapies of tumors (in particular, working on oncolytic adenoviruses, CAR T cells and 3D organoids of human cancers). 

At Bambino Gesù Children’s Hospital (OPBG) I setup my own Lab, thanks to the fundings received from the Associazione Italiana per la Ricerca sul Cancro (AIRC), being awarded with a 5-year My First AIRC Grant, and from the Italian Ministry of Health on projects aimed at combining treatment with Oncolytic Viruses and immunotherapy. At OPBG, I combine the research and the clinical activity. During the residency in Pediatrics, I further specialized in Haematology-Oncology, under the mentoring of Prof. Locatelli, and developed a particular interest on cancer immunotherapy, brain tumors, ALL, lymphomas, allogeneic and autologous haematopoietic stem cell transplantation for malignant and non-malignant disorders. At OPBG, together with the bedside clinical activity, I am involved in several innovative phase I/II or III clinical trials testing either new drugs or cell therapies for the treatment of childhood haematologic malignancies. I am also primarily involved in the clinical translation of the academic CAR-T cell approaches developed at OPBG for both hematological and solid tumors (including neuroblastoma, sarcomas and brain tumors). In detail, I collaborated to define the design of the phase I/II clinical trials, to the writing of the clinical protocols and to the definition of the process of the GMP manufacturing of gene-modified T cells.

I am co-PI of the currently enrolling clinical trial on CD19-CAR T cells infused fresh to patients in first or subsequent relapse of BCP-ALL and manage all the patients enrolled in clinical trials with CAR-T cells at OPBG.

Comments