Meet the 2021 Young SIOP awardees - Holly Pacenta

Hi there! For the coming weeks, our blog will be dedicated to our Young SIOP Award winners!

Please meet Holly Pacenta, YI from the United States, in her own words.



I am a junior faculty at Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth, TX where my primary research and clinical interests are in targeted therapies for relapsed leukemia. I completed my fellowship at Children’s Hospital Colorado in Aurora, CO where I worked on a lab-based project with the goal of identifying new therapeutic targets for individuals with Down syndrome and ALL.

I have continued to build on the foundation that I gained during my fellowship as a junior faculty. While at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, TX, I was a member of the experimental therapeutics team and gained valuable experience treating patients with Kymriah, the first FDA approved CAR (chimeric antigen receptor) T-cell for pediatric B-ALL. 

In my current position at Cook Children’s I am the medical director of the Cellular Immunotherapy Program. On a national level, I am the vice-Principal Investigator for Cook Children’s in the Therapeutic Advances in Childhood Leukemia & Lymphoma (TACL) consortium, and I am also a member of the study committee of the phase I/II TACL study which is evaluating ixazomib in combination with chemotherapy in patients with relapsed or refractory ALL. 

I also participate in the Pediatric Real World CAR Consortium (PRWCC) which is evaluating outcomes of patients treated with Kymriah following FDA approval. Through the PRWCC I am leading a project evaluating the outcomes of individuals with Down syndrome and B-ALL treated with Kymriah in a real world setting.

Comments