Meet the 2021 Young SIOP awardees - Sarah Braungart

Hi there! For the coming weeks, our blog will be dedicated to our Young SIOP Award winners!

Please meet Sarah Braungart, YI from the United Kingdom, in her own words.




My name is Sarah, and I am a Senior Registrar in Paediatric Surgery and Surgical Oncology at the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital in the UK.  

I completed my MD at Dresden Medical School in Germany in 2011, and then moved to the UK for my surgical training. I have always wanted to be a Paediatric Oncology Surgeon. Throughout my training in Leeds, Manchester, Alder Hey Liverpool, and Belfast, I have worked with some inspiring Oncology Surgeons who totally reinforced my dream.

I have developed a strong research interest in paediatric ovarian tumours – a diverse group of tumours with many open questions. I was awarded the “Best of IPSO” Prize  at SIOP 2018 in Kyoto for my national study on ovarian tumours, and I feel very honoured to now be awarded the SIOP 2021 Young Investigator Award for further work in this field. I have presented at more than 20 national and international conferences, published/ co-authored 20 peer-reviewed publications and written 3 invited book chapters in paediatric surgical textbooks. I am a qualified aerobics instructor, and love teaching exercise classes in my free time, or hiking and climbing in the mountains.

One of the most wonderful things about paediatric (surgical) oncology for me is the fact that it is an absolute team effort of all of the members of the paediatric oncology multi-disciplinary team and it relies so heavily on collaboration. International exchange and discussion forms an important part of this, which is why I am a member of SIOP/ IPSO, SIOPEN, EUPSA and the Children’s Cancer & Leukaemia Group UK.  I believe that if we all work together in the battle against childhood cancer, then we can make a difference for the future of our children. 


Comments