Meet the 2022 Young SIOP awardees - Anne Maas

Hi there! For the coming weeks, our blog will be dedicated to our Young SIOP Award winners!

Please meet Anne Maas, YI from the The Netherlands, in her own words.



My name is Anne Maas and I work as a PhD student in the field of psycho-oncology (research group of Martha Grootenhuis) at the Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology in Utrecht, the Netherlands. My primary research focus is to gain insight into psychosocial functioning of adult survivors of childhood cancer on the long term. I am especially interested in risk and protective factors of psychosocial functioning in survivors as with this knowledge, the care for children, adolescents and adults who grow up with childhood cancer can be optimized.

Prior to this role at the Princess Máxima Center, I completed my master’s in Youth Studies and followed a two year internship in an institution focused on psycho-oncology to study a mindfulness-based intervention intended for cancer patients and survivors dealing with fatigue.

I hope to keep on contributing to the field of psycho-oncology in the future, especially by designing and studying interventions that help patients and survivors cope with the struggles that can come with a cancer diagnosis and its treatment.

Comments