Meet the 2023 Young SIOP awardees - John Isiiko

Hi there! For the coming weeks, our blog will be dedicated to our Young SIOP Award winners!

Please meet John Isiiko, YI from Uganda, in their own words.


I am Dr. John Isiiko, a Clinical Oncology Pharmacist working at the Department of Pharmacy, Uganda Cancer Institute, Mbarara Regional Centre, Uganda, and lecturing at the Department of Pharmacy, Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST), Uganda. I am a Ph.D. Scholar and completed my Master of Pharmacy in Clinical Pharmacy in 2021 at MUST. I also completed my fellowship in Oncology Pharmacy at Bristol Haematology and Oncology Centre, UK.

My primary area of research focuses on optimizing cancer treatment outcomes with an emphasis on childhood cancers in limited-resource settings. In this regard, my projects entail Pharmacoeconomic modeling, minimizing the cost of treatment yet optimizing therapeutic outcomes. Other projects focus on minimizing drug therapy problems and optimizing the safety of cancer care delivery. The Pharmacoeconomic study that focussed on dose rounding as a strategy for minimizing the cost of treatment of childhood cancers was awarded the Young SIOP Investigator Award in 2023. I am deeply honored to have received recognition for this work and I am looking forward to the 2023 conference in Ottawa this year!


Comments