Meet the 2023 Young SIOP awardees - Marion Mateos

Hi there! For the coming weeks, our blog will be dedicated to our Young SIOP Award winners!

Please meet Marion Mateos, YI from Australia, in their own words. 


I am a Paediatric Oncologist and early career clinician researcher. I have appointments at Sydney Children’s Hospital Randwick, the University of New South Wales and the Children’s Cancer Institute Australia.

My clinical practice focuses on treatment of childhood brain tumours and leukaemia. I have research interests in clinical trial development for high-risk childhood cancer, biomarker development and application of liquid biopsy, as well as research aimed at reducing treatment-related toxicities. My overseas post-doctoral fellowship focused on biomarker analysis using RNA sequencing data in medulloblastoma, as well as clinical research in germline variants. My core experience lies in large clinical datasets, precision medicine, genomics and genome-wide association-studies.

Despite only 2.4 years full-time research equivalent post PhD, I have published 18 peer-reviewed papers and have attracted >$8M as a named investigator from external funding sources. My PhD work led to an American Society of Hematology (ASH) Oral Abstract presentation and ASH Abstract Award (2016).  I undertook an overseas postdoctoral fellowship in the United Kingdom (2017-2019), returning to Australia in 2019 after receiving a prestigious Cancer Institute NSW Early Career Fellowship (2020-2023). 

I have recently been awarded an inaugural Col Reynolds Clinical Research Fellowship from The Kids Cancer Project to continue my germline research and liquid biopsy research in high-risk brain cancer (2024-2027). My co-lead role in developing a world-first clinical trial in high-risk brain cancer (ACTRN12623000104651 Deflexifol at Relapse Trial (DART)) was recently featured on an Australian news channel (Channel 7) and radio station (Radio 2SM). My recent work leading an international collaboration examining germline cancer predisposition in high-risk brain cancer (diffuse midline glioma) has resulted in an oral abstract presentation at the International Society of Paediatric Oncology (SIOP), Ottawa Canada (October 2023) and a SIOP Young Investigator Award (2023).

Comments