Meet the SIOP YI Awardees 2019 – Lorena Baroni

Meet the SIOP YI Awardees 2019 – Lorena Baroni


          
Hi there! My name is Liliana and during the following weeks, our blog will be dedicated to our SIOP Young Investigator Award winners!

Please meet Lorena Baroni, YI from Argentina, in her own words.


I studied medicine at the University of Buenos Aires (UBA), Argentina and finished as a Medical Doctor in 2006. I trained in clinical pediatrics at the Hospital Interzonal Especializado Materno Infantil Dr. Victorio Tetamanti (HIEMI) in Mar del Plata, Argentina, followed by a 3-year pediatric hematology-oncology fellowship and an additional year of training in pediatric central nervous system (CNS) malignancies at the Hospital Prof. Dr. JP Garrahan, Buenos Aires. 

Since 2013 I am a full time staff oncologist at the Hospital Garrahan. Ever since I have been fully dedicated to the care and cure of children with CNS tumors. In order to deepen my neuro-oncology knowledge including the study of molecular biology of brain tumours and to allow international collaborations, I applied successfully to the quite competitive Meagan’s Walk neuro-oncology fellowship at the Hospital for Sick Children which I completed in June 2019. 

 I was recently granted the Terry Fox Foundation International Cancer Research Award to complete the research project “Subgroup specific outcomes in metastatic infant medulloblastoma treated with radiation sparing approaches” under the supervision of Dr. Vijay Ramaswamy’s lab.



Comments