Meet the SIOP YI Awardees 2020 - Irmhild Altmann-Schneider

Hi there! During the following weeks, our blog will be dedicated to our SIOP Young Investigator Award winners!

Please meet Irmhild Altmann-Schneider, YI from The Netherlands, in her own words.


I was born and raised in Germany where I also successfully completed the study of medicine (University of Tübingen) and German doctoral grade. After my studies, I emigrated to the Netherlands, where I received my PhD degree in 2015 („On longevity and the aging process: a magnetic resonance imaging study of the brain“) and completed my residency in general radiology in Leiden. 

My special interest in pediatric radiology started to grow as early as my first exposure to this field during the second year of residency. Currently, I am a fellow in pediatric radiology at The Wilhelmina Children’s hospital and Princess Maxima Center for Pediatric oncology in Utrecht, The Netherlands. My special interest lies in the field of pediatric neuroradiology. 

Within the setting of a recently founded national institute for centralized care in pediatric oncology in The Netherlands, I am currently working on a project to evaluate the prevalence and incidence of radiation induced MR changes in children with primary CNS tumors who were treated with proton therapy.

Comments