Meet the SIOP YI Awardees 2020 - Niki Rensen

Hi there! During the following weeks, our blog will be dedicated to our SIOP Young Investigator Award winners!

Please meet Niki Rensen, YI from The Netherlands, in her own words.



My name is Niki Rensen, I am 26 years old and I am from the Netherlands. I went to medical school at the VU University in Amsterdam and finished my training in 2018. I have been conducting the research constituting my doctoral thesis since 2013. I am currently in the very last phase of my PhD on sleep, distress and quality of life in parents of children with cancer, at the Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology and Amsterdam UMC. I am supervised by dr. Raphaële van Litsenburg, prof. dr. Gertjan Kaspers and prof. dr. Martha Grootenhuis. 

In 2019, I received an Academy Ter Meulen grant by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) to do a one-year research fellowship at the Behavioral Sciences Unit, Kids Cancer Center, in Sydney. I was supposed to move to Australia in May 2020. Yet, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, I was unable to travel. Therefore I am now doing a pediatric residency at the Spaarne Gasthuis hospital in Haarlem, the Netherlands. In the future, I hope to specialize in pediatrics, and to continue my work as a researcher in the field of pediatric psycho-oncology.


Comments