Meet the 2023 Young SIOP awardees - Elvia Grillo

Hi there! For the coming weeks, our blog will be dedicated to our Young SIOP Award winners!

Please meet Elvia Grillo, YI from Colombia, in their own words.


I am graduated from Universidad Nacional de Colombia. I have completed my post-graduated training in El Bosque University and La Rioja University. Since 2018, I have been engaged with the Population-based Cancer Registry of Cali-Colombia (RPCC) at Universidad del Valle, Colombia, and advanced my studies for Epidemiology MSc. and Doctorate in Health in the same university, with the accompaniment of Dr. Luis Bravo.

From 2019, I have been involved with POHEMA Foundation, the main non-governmental organization for pediatric cancer research, advocacy, and education in Colombia. I have participated in pediatric cancer projects as VIGICANCER and NAVIGUIA, with the accompaniment of Dr. Oscar Ramírez and Dr. Jesús Ardila.

The identification of factors related with inequities in pediatric cancer and treatment abandonment has been the major focus of my research. My doctorate studies have been directed to epidemiological approaching of public health issues such as pediatric cancer based on clinical data analysis. With treatment abandonment as focus of my studies, I constructed and validated a risk score for treatment abandonment in pediatric cancer, in Colombia.

Comments