Meet the 2023 Young SIOP awardees - Hinke van der Hoek

Hi there! For the coming weeks, our blog will be dedicated to our Young SIOP Award winners!

Please meet Hinke van der Hoek, YI from The Netherlands, in their own words.


My name is Hinke van der Hoek and I’m 26 years old. I work as a PhD student in the field of psycho-oncology (research group of Prof. Martha Grootenhuis) at the Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology in Utrecht, the Netherlands.

During my PhD I’m focusing on advances in care for children and adolescents during and after childhood cancer. There are two topics I’m especially interested in. The first one is sleep and interventions for children who experience sleep problems. I work together with Dr. Raphaële van Litsenburg. The second topic is the psychosocial functioning (such as body image, emotional well-being, and quality of life) of children with and survivors of a bone sarcoma. We hope to gain more insight in this specific patient group. On this topic I work together with Prof. Hans Merks. With the findings from these studies we hope to optimize the care for the children in our hospital.

I obtained a master in Clinical Child, Family and Education Studies. I have also been working as a psychologist with children with brain tumors and bone tumors at the Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology. I really enjoy combining research with doing clinical work.

In the future I hope to keep contributing to the field of pediatric oncology and integrating our research findings into the standard care for the children with cancer. I’m very honored to have won a Young Investigator Award! During SIOP 2023 I will present the results of our randomized controlled trial about the effectiveness of iSleep, an online cognitive behavioral therapy intervention for insomnia for survivors of childhood cancer.

Comments