Meet the 2023 Young SIOP awardees - Perri Tutelman

Hi there! For the coming weeks, our blog will be dedicated to our Young SIOP Award winners!

Please meet Perri Tutelman, YI from Canada, in their own words.


I obtained my PhD in Clinical Psychology from Dalhousie University in 2022 including a predoctoral residency in Pediatric & Child Clinical Psychology at the Alberta Children’s Hospital. I am currently a CIHR-funded Postdoctoral Fellow in Psychosocial Oncology at the University of Calgary. My research is centered at the intersection of psychosocial oncology, pain, and mental health and is focused on developing novel patient-oriented interventions to support children, adolescents, and young adults diagnosed with cancer. My work has been recognized nationally and internationally, including by the World Health Organization as evidence on the burden of cancer-related chronic pain in children. As a
clinician-scientist, I also provide clinical care to children, adolescents, and young adults with cancer through Cancer Care Alberta.

I work closely with patient partners to co-design research that addresses what matters most to patients and their families. Currently, I am co-leading a James Lind Alliance Priority Setting Partnership to establish the Top 10 research priorities for Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer in Canada (#AYACancerPSP). I was the 2021 recipient of the Research Impact Canada Engaged Scholarship Award for my work to increase awareness outside academia and change stakeholder practices in the area of pain and childhood cancer
and am passionate about advocating for inclusion of patients as partners in research.


Comments